In these article, we’ll unleash the how Inter Miami was formed and full details on who owns Inter Miami CF.
Inter Miami CF (The Herons) originally Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami is an American football club located in Miami metropolitan area.
The club was founded in 2018 and begin to play in the American professional football league (Major League Soccer MLS) in the 2020 season with it’s current home ground at DRV PNK Stadium.
Brief History of Inter Miami
After the dissolution of Miami Fusion FC in 2002. Marcelo Claure (Miami based telecom entrepreneur) and FC Barcelona bid for an expansion in 2009 but failed.
READ ALSO: Who owns Chelsea FC – Facts about the owner
MLS commissioner in 2012 confirmed the league’s interest in placing an expansion in Miami.
Back to 2007, former England and Manchester United legend David Beckham joined the MLS league with an option to buy an expansion team for an amount of $25 million.
After Beckham’s football career in April 2013, his adviser and the league held a discussion about several expansion which includes Miami.
December 2013, David Beckham and Simon Fuller were announced by the state of the league as potential owners of Miami.
Later in 2014, the league announced the Beckham Miami United (investment group led by Beckham, Fuller and Claure) would only own the club upon agreement on financing new stadium.
On January 29 2018, after completing the stadium financing. Beckham Miami United group was announced and awarded the 25th MLS franchise and which was set to launch in the 2020 season.
The club name was announced to be Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami (Inter Miami CF) on September 5, 2018.
READ ALSO: Fun facts about Cristiano Ronaldo you don’t know
Later in 2019, Beckham bought out Fuller’s share of the club making him owns the most stake in Inter Miami CF.
MLS also announced the league will increase from 26 to 30 teams by 2020.
Diego Alonso was announced as the club inaugural head coach with the club losing 1-0 away to Los Angeles FC in their first MLS game on March 1, 2020.
Who owns Inter Miami CF
The ownership group behind the franchise was founded as Miami Beckham United in 2013 which now operates under the name Miami Freedom Park LLC.
The original ownership group was led by Marcelo Claure with Jorge and Jos Mar added to the group in 2017.
It was later announced on September 17, 2021 that Beckham and the Mas brother had bought out Claure and son’s stake from the group.
Meaning the current owners of Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami (Inter Miami CF) are:
- David Beckham
- Jorge and Jos Mas
Fun Facts about David Beckham
1. David Beckham is the first Englishman to win league titles in four different countries (England, Spain, France and America).
2. He was the first England captain to be sent off and first Englishman to be shown two red card.
3. Beckham is the first British player to reach 100 UEFA Champions League appearance.
4. The 2002 film ‘Bend it like Beckham‘ was created to honour Beckham’s free-kick ability.
5. David choose the #23 at Real Madrid because that’s his favorite ex-basketballer (Michael Jordan) jersey number since the #7 is already occupied by Raul.
6. Beckham with Zidane and Raul made an appearance in the 2005 movie titled ‘The Dream Begins‘.
7. Beckham was honoured with a statue of him by LA Galaxy at the Dignity health sports park.
8. He is also the first English player to score in three consecutive World Cup tournament.
9. He suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) i.e things has to be well arranged and organize before he can feel comfortable.
10. He also suffers from “ornithophobia” (fear of birds).
11. David Beckham’s salary throughout his stay at PSG was donated to a charity of children.
Leave a Reply